The soundtrack of Miss Julie, the drama movie directed by Liv Ullman and starring Jessica Chastain and Collin Farrell, is actually a musical mosaic compiled from the works of Schubert, Schumann, Chopin, Arensky and Bach where each fragment was performed to the scenes in the movie. The music mosaic was performed by violinist Arve Tellefsen, cellist Truls Mørk and pianist Håvard Gimse.
Miss Julie Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
Arve Tellefsen, Truls Mørk, Håvard Gimse.
||1. Miss Julie (Ullmann) SOUNDTRACK (27:57)|
2. Miss Julie (Ullmann) The End (3:52)
The mosaic is compiled from the works of:
1. Franz Schubert (1797-1828), Notturno in E-flat major, Op. 148 (D. 897), Adagio
2. Franz Schubert (1797-1828), Piano Trio No. 2 in E-flat major, Op. 100 (D929-2), Andante con moto
3. Robert Schumann (1810-1856), Kinderszenen, Op. 15, Träumerei
4. Frederic Chopin (1810-1849), Nocturne in F major, op 15, no 1, Andante cantabile
5. Anton Arensky (1861-1906), Piano Trio No. 1 in D minor, Op. 32, Elegia – Adagio
6. Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750), Cello Suite No. 2 in D minor (BWV1008), Prélude
Here’s a preview of the soundtrack via Spotify:
A few words from Director Liv Ullman:
“The music, for me, represents different feelings and different characters. Schumann’s Träumerei and Schubert’s Second Piano Trio express Miss Julie’s yearnings, while Arensky’s First Piano Trio is John’s music. Towards the end of the film Bach’s Second Cello Suite is heard. It’s about forgiveness. Reconciliation. There is grace to be had when everything is lost. This is something I know, it’s what I have experienced, what I have seen. The mystery of life is something music can give us. I have a deep faith in life – its meaning, its purpose. Only Bach can give us this, in regions where words are no longer of any use. Arve Tellefsen, Truls Mørk and Håvard Gimse are three wonderful artists who, through their music-making, can open our minds – our deepest perception – and make visible what our eyes cannot see. It’s about being involved at a profound level. That is what I want this film to do: to tell us who we are, and why we are. This would be impossible without music.”
Director Liv Ullman
Over the course of a midsummer night in Fermanagh in 1890, an unsettled daughter (Jessica Chastain) of the Anglo-Irish aristocracy encourages her father’s valet (Colin Farrell) to seduce her.
The movie soundtrack of Miss Julie is available on Amazon, it was released by 2l.